[openstack-dev] [nova] live migration in Mitaka

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 11:26:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:25:12AM +0000, Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) wrote:

> > Please respond to this post if you have an interest in this and what
> > you would like to see done.  Include anything you are already
> > getting on with so we get a clear picture.
>
> Thank you to those who replied to this thread. I have used the
> contents to start an etherpad page here:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-live-migration

I added a couple of URLs for upstream libvirt work that allow for
selective block device migration, and the in-progress generic TLS
support work by Dan Berrange in upstream QEMU.

> I have taken the liberty of listing those that responded to the thread
> and the authors of mentioned patches as interested people.

> From the responses and looking at the specs up for review it looks
> like there are about five areas that could be addressed in Mitaka and
> several others that could come later. The first five are:
>

> - migrating instances with a mix of local disks and cinder volumes

IIUC, this is possible with the selective block device migration work
merged in upstream libvirt:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2015-May/msg00955.html

--
/kashyap