[openstack-dev] [Fuel][PTL] PTL Candidates Q&A Session

Mike Scherbakov mscherbakov at mirantis.com
Thu Oct 1 00:48:17 UTC 2015

Vladimir,
we may mix technical direction / tech debt roadmap and process, political,
and people management work of PTL.

PTL definition in OpenStack [1] reflects many things which PTL becomes
responsible for. This applies to Fuel as well.

I'd like to reflect some things here which I'd expect PTL doing, most of
which will intersect with [1]:
- Participate in cross-project initiatives & resolution of issues around
it. Great example is puppet-openstack vs Fuel [2]
- Organize required processes around launchpad bugs & blueprints
- Personal personal feedback to Fuel contributors & public suggestions when
needed
- Define architecture direction & review majority of design specs. Rely on
Component Leads and Core Reviewers
- Ensure that roadmap & use cases are aligned with architecture work
- Resolve conflicts between core reviewers, component leads. Get people to
the same page
- Watch for code review queues and quality of reviews. Ensure discipline of
code review.
- Testing / coverage have to be at the high level

Considering all above, contributors actually have been working with all of
us and know who could be better handling such a hard work. I don't think
special Q&A is needed. If there are concerns / particular process/tech
questions we'd like to discuss - those should be just open as email threads.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PTL_Guide
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/066685.html

Thank you,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 3:47 AM Vladimir Kuklin <vkuklin at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Folks
>
> I think it is awesome we have three candidates for PTL position in Fuel. I
> read all candidates' emails (including mine own several times :-) ) and I
> got a slight thought of not being able to really differentiate the
> candidates platforms as they are almost identical from the high-level point
> of view. But we all know that the devil is in details. And this details
> will actually affect project future.
>
> Thus I thought about Q&A session at #fuel-dev channel in IRC. I think that
> this will be mutually benefitial for everyone to get our platforms a little
> bit more clear.
>
> Let's do it before or right at the start of actual voting so that our
> contributors can make better decisions based on this session.
>
> I suggest the following format:
>
> 1) 3 questions from electorate members - let's put them onto an etherpad
> 2) 2 questions from a candidate to his opponents (1 question per opponent)
> 3) external moderator - I suppose, @xarses as our weekly meeting moderator
> could help us
> 4) time and date - Wednesday or Thursday comfortable for both timezones,
> e.g. after 4PM UTC or right after fuel weekly meeting.
>
> What do you think, folks?
>
> --
> Yours Faithfully,
> Vladimir Kuklin,