[openstack-dev] [oslo][all] The lock files saga (and where we can go from here)

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Nov 30 21:22:23 UTC 2015

On 11/30/2015 02:15 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 11/30/2015 03:01 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

>>> I think the main reason was that even with a million locks available,
>>> you'd have to find a way to hash the lock names to offsets in the file,
>>> and a million isn't a very large collision space for that.  Having two
>>> differently named locks that hashed to the same offset would lead to
>>> incredibly confusing bugs.
>>>
>>> We could switch to requiring the projects to provide the offsets instead
>>> of hashing a string value, but that's just pushing the collision problem
>>> off onto every project that uses us.
>>>
>>> So that's the problem as I understand it, but where does that leave us
>>> for solutions?  First, there's
>>> https://github.com/openstack/oslo.concurrency/blob/master/oslo_concurrency/lockutils.py#L151
>>> which allows consumers to delete lock files when they're done with them.
>>>  Of course, in that case the onus is on the caller to make sure the lock
>>> couldn't possibly be in use anymore.
>>>
>>> Second, is this actually a problem?  Modern filesystems have absurdly
>>> large limits on the number of files in a directory, so it's highly
>>> unlikely we would ever exhaust that, and we're creating all zero byte
>>> files so there shouldn't be a significant space impact either.  In the
>>> past I believe our recommendation has been to simply create a cleanup
>>> job that runs on boot, before any of the OpenStack services start, that
>>> deletes all of the lock files.  At that point you know it's safe to
>>> delete them, and it prevents your lock file directory from growing forever.
>>
>> Not that high - ext3 (still the default for nova ephemeral
>> partitions!) has a limit of 64k in one directory.
>>
>> That said, I don't disagree - my thinkis is that we should advise
>> putting such files on a tmpfs.
>
> So, I think the issue really is that the named external locks were
> originally thought to be handling some pretty sensitive critical
> sections. Both cinder / nova have less than 20 such named locks.
>
> Cinder uses a parametrized version for all volume operations -
> https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/7fb767f2d652f070a20fd70d92585d61e56f3a50/cinder/volume/manager.py#L143
>

> Nova also does something similar in image cache
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/1734ce7101982dd95f8fab1ab4815bd258a33744/nova/virt/libvirt/imagecache.py#L169
>
> I honestly didn't realize that locks weren't deleting when completed due
> to the implementation details. Honestly, it seems like a busy wait
> try_lock / sleep might be better here than the open blocking, as it
> would let us stay on top of the cleanup, at the cost of a small amount
> of performance when contending for locks. But, honestly, most of these
> aren't performance critical bits, they are safety from corruption places.

I've always wondered if we could just delete the file instead of
unlocking it.  I'm not sure how that would interact with other processes
waiting on the file (they'll have already opened the file), but it's
possible we could do that with fairly minimal changes.  It would just
require some robust testing to make sure it doesn't break anything, and
like I said I've never seen this as a big problem so I didn't pursue it.