[openstack-dev] [cinder]Do we have project scope for cinder?

hao wang sxmatch1986 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:01:16 UTC 2015

Hi  Philipp,

> Hi Hao Wang,
>
>> In fact, there is a reason that I ask this question. Recently I have a
>> confusion about if cinder should provide the ability of Disaster
>> Recovery to storage resources, like volume. I mean we have volume
>> replication v1&v2, but for DR, specially DR between two independent
>> OpenStack sites(production and DR site), I feel we still need more
>> features to support it, for example consistency group for replication,
>> etc.
> I'm currently developing consistency groups for the DRBD volume driver.
>

> The only way it can do replication *is* for a consistency group as a whole,
> so that feature will be available soonish - if you don't care that
> Cinder/Openstack knows nothing about the ongoing replication.

Yes, recently I have some ideas about the DR, including the CG of replication.
And I heard a different voice that we maybe shouldn't introduce DR into cinder,
but on top of cinder, like another new project to focus on DR. So I want to get
some opinions from our guys.

>> I'm not sure if those features belong in Cinder or some new
>> project for DR.
> IMO this belongs to Cinder.

This is my point of view too,  I think Cinder should provide the basic
and atomical
API to support DR function, of course the orchestration of DR process
could be in Heat
or some DR management system.