[openstack-dev] [magnum] Using docker container to run COE daemons

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Thu Nov 26 16:01:02 UTC 2015

Jay,

Agree and disagree. Containerize some COE daemons will facilitate the version upgrade and maintenance. However, I don’t think it is correct to blindly containerize everything unless there is an investigation performed to understand the benefits and costs of doing that. Quoted from Egor, the common practice in k8s is to containerize everything except kublet, because it seems it is just too hard to containerize everything. In the case of mesos, I am not sure if it is a good idea to move everything to containers, given the fact that it is relatively easy to manage and upgrade debian packages at Ubuntu. However, in the new CoreOS mesos bay [1], meos daemons will run at containers.

In summary, I think the correct strategy is to selectively containerize some COE daemons, but we don’t have to containerize *all* COE daemons.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/mesos-bay-with-coreos

Best regards,
Hongbin