[openstack-dev] More and more circular build dependencies: what can we do to stop this?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Nov 26 14:50:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

As a package maintainer, I'm seeing more and more circular
build-dependency. The latest of them is between oslotest and oslo.config
in Mitaka.

There's been some added between unittest2, linecache2 and traceback2
too, which are now really broadly used.

The only way I can work around this type of issue is to temporarily
disable the unit tests (or allow them to fail), build both packages, and
revert the unit tests tweaks. That's both annoying and frustrating to do.

What can we do so that it doesn't constantly happen again and again?
It's a huge pain for downstream package maintainers and distros.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)