[openstack-dev] how do we get the migration status details info from nova

Paul Carlton paul.carlton2 at hpe.com
Thu Nov 26 11:10:47 UTC 2015

On 26/11/15 10:48, 少合冯 wrote:
> Now, we are agree on getting more migration status details info are
> useful.
>
> But How do we get them?
> By REST API or Notification?
>

> IF by API, does the "time_elapsed"is needed?
> For there is a "created_at" field.
> But IMO, it is base on the time ofthe conductor server?
> The time_elapsed can get from libvirt, which from the hypervisor.
> Usually, there are ntp-server in the cloud. and we can get the
> time_elapsed by "created_at".
> but not sure there will be the case:
> the time of hypervisor and conductor server host are out of sync?
Why not both.  Just update the _monitor_live_migration method in the libvirt
  driver (and any similar functions in other drivers if they exist) so
it updates
  the migration object and also sends notification events.  These don't have
  to be at 5 second intervals, although I think that is about right for the
migration object update.  Notification messages could be once event 30
  seconds or so.

Operators can monitor the progress via the API and orchestration utilities
  to consume the notification messages (and/or use API).
This will enable them to identify migration operations that are not making
  good progress and take actions to address the issue.

The created_at and updated_at fields of the migration object should be
sufficient to allow the caller to work out how long the migration has been
running for (or how long it took in the case of a completed migration).

Notification payload can include the created_at field or not.  I'd say not.
There will be a notification message generated when a migration starts
so subsequent progress messages don't need it, if the consumer wants
the complete picture they can call the API.

--
Paul Carlton
Software Engineer

Mobile:    +44 (0)7768 994283
Email:    mailto:paul.carlton2 at hpe.com
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN Registered No: 690597 England.
The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender. To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".