[openstack-dev] [kolla] docker module replacement

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Thu Nov 26 02:34:38 UTC 2015

Point of clarification, Brian Coca (bcoca) confirmed there _will_ be an
ansible 1.9.5 to me the other day. So we will be unblocked at some point
for Docker 1.8.2. Unfortunately the module is broken with v1 registry past
Docker 1.8.2.

That said here are my issues:
    * its been 4 weeks since we fixed the bug upstream, we still don't have
a consumable version of ansible with the fix
    * waiting on new features to propagate through Docker and docker-py
then we must wait on ansible to implement/merge a PR for the new features
and THEN we must wait for a new ansible tag. At that point our new minimum
requirement is the latest version of ansible. Hopefully it doesn't have any
bugs
    * it has been said that because the v1 registry is deprecated so the
ansible  Docker module won't do anything to make that work (and its broken
with the upstream module). The local v2 registry is orders of magnitude
slower than a local v1. This is a big deal for us and its this type of
issue that makes me think we need our own module long term. We can't have
another project dictating such a crucial piece of our project and
development

In the case of liberty, while we can unpin 1.8.2, who is to say 1.9.3 won't
be broken for the same reason? Requiring later versions of ansible for
fixes here won't work long term.

I'm open to solutions that solve my concerns above without requiring a
module in our control.