[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Getting rid of Docker containers on the Fuel master node

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 19:43:49 UTC 2015

<opinion>
IMO, removing the docker containers is a mistake v.s. fixing them and using
them properly. They provide an isolation that is necessary (and that we
mangle) to make services portable and scaleable. We really should sit down
and document how we really want all of the services to interact before we
rip the containers out.

I agree, the way we use containers now still is quite wrong, and brings us
some negative value, but I'm not sold on stripping them out now just
because they no longer bring the same upgrades value as before.
</opinion>

My opinion aside, we are rushing into this far to late in the feature
cycle. Prior to moving forward with this, we need a good QA plan, the spec
is quite light on that and must receive review and approval from QA. This
needs to include an actual testing plan.

>From the implementation side, we are pushing up against the FF deadline. We
need to document what our time objectives are for this and when we will no
longer consider this for 8.0.

Lastly, for those that are +1 on the thread here, please review and comment
on the spec, It's received almost no attention for something with such a
large impact.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 4:58 PM Vladimir Kozhukalov <
vkozhukalov at mirantis.com> wrote:

> The status is as follows:
>
> 1) Fuel-main [1] and fuel-library [2] patches can deploy the master node
> w/o docker containers
> 2) I've not built experimental ISO yet (have been testing and debugging
> manually)
> 3) There are still some flaws (need better formatting, etc.)
> 4) Plan for tomorrow is to build experimental ISO and to begin fixing
> system tests and fix the spec.
>
> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248649
> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248650
>
> Vladimir Kozhukalov
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Vladimir Kozhukalov <
> vkozhukalov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Colleagues,
>>
>> I've started working on the change. Here are two patches (fuel-main [1]
>> and fuel-library [2]). They are not ready to review (still does not work
>> and under active development). Changes are not going to be huge. Here is a
>> spec [3]. Will keep the status up to date in this ML thread.
>>

>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248649
>> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248650
>> [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248814
>>

>> Vladimir Kozhukalov
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Aleksandr Maretskiy <
>> amaretskiy at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobrelia at mirantis.com

>>> Sounds good

Andrew Woodward