[openstack-dev] [all] Thoughts on python-future?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Nov 25 09:55:14 UTC 2015

On 11/25/2015 03:33 AM, Eric Kao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’ve been using the python-future library for Python 3 porting and want
> to see what people think of it.
> http://python-future.org/overview.html#features
>
> The end result is standard Python3 code made compatible with Python2
> through library imports. The great thing is that Python 3 execution is
> mostly independent of the library, so once Python 2 support is dropped,
> the use of the library can be dropped too.
>
> Anyone know why it’s not used in OpenStack perhaps alongside six? Thanks!

Hi,

The package embedds many 3rd party libs, and it is a nightmare to keep
working well in a distribution. It also has very common namespace
squatting, like xmlrpc, http, and such.

If you were to introduce this package again in the global-requirements,
I would vote -1 and convince the others to not accept it, as I don't
think it is maintainable at the distro level. So please don't attempt it! :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)