[openstack-dev] [Horizon][Neutron] dashboard repository for neutron subprojects

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 07:06:14 UTC 2015

On 24 November 2015 at 21:46, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Neutron has now various subprojects and some of them would like to
> implement Horizon supports. Most of them are additional features.
> I would like to start the discussion where we should have horizon support.
>
> [Background]
> Horizon team introduced a plugin mechanism and we can add horizon panels
> from external repositories. Horizon team is recommending external repos for
> additional services for faster iteration and features.
> We have various horizon related repositories now [1].
>
> In Neutron related world, we have neutron-lbaas-dashboard and
> horizon-cisco-ui repos.
>
> [Possible options]
> There are several possible options for neutron sub-projects.
> My current vote is (b), and the next is (a). It looks a good balance to me.
> I would like to gather broader opinions,
>
> (a) horizon in-tree repo
> - [+] It was a legacy approach and there is no initial effort to setup a
> repo.
> - [+] Easy to share code conventions.
> - [-] it does not scale. Horizon team can be a bottleneck.
>
> (b) a single dashboard repo for all neutron sub-projects
> - [+] No need to set up a repo by each sub-project
> - [+] Easier to share the code convention. Can get horizon reviewers.
> - [-] who will be a core reviewer of this repo?
>
> (c) neutron sub-project repo

All circumstances considered, I think c) is the only viable one.

> - [+] Each sub-project can develop a dashboard fast.
> - [-] It is doable, but the directory tree can be complicated.

why? do you envision something else other than /horizon directory in the
tree?

> - [-] Lead to too many repos and the horizon team/liaison cannot cover all.

If that's true for horizon, shouldn't the same be true for the neutron team
:)? IMO, the level of feedback/oversight provided is always going to be
constant (you can't clone people) no matter how the efforts are
distributed. I'd rather empower the individual projects.