[openstack-dev] [puppet] Puppet 4 and Beaker testing

Cody Herriges cody at herriges.org
Tue Nov 24 21:54:40 UTC 2015

Today we do unit testing against all kinds of puppet versions but
beaker's acceptance testing is currently limited to the 3.8.x series.
The is because we install "latest" Puppet from Puppet Labs repositories
but do so using the old packaging style which relied on dependency
packages being delivered by the Operating System vendors, things like
Ruby or OpenSSL.  With the release of Puppet 4.0, Puppet Labs decided to
take a different approach and has pushed into the open source space a
compilation package that contains all runtime dependencies, packaged as
"puppet-agent" and generally referred to as PC1.  This is the same thing
Puppet Labs had been doing for Puppet Enterprise customers for a few years.

Along with this comes new paths for common files.

* All puppet code is now expected to be in /etc/puppetlabs/code
* Puppet configs are in /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf
* etc.
* etc.
* etc.

To better understand what is going on, visit the following links:

* http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/4.3/reference/about_agent.html
* http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/4.3/reference/whered_it_go.html

The result of this will be beaker tests running against Ruby 2.x, Puppet
4.x, and the native C++11 rewrite of Facter but I need some eyes and
discussion on the best way to phase in this change to our CI.  I am
asking people to take a look at the following three commits.

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:pc1,n,z

* (WIP) Prototype the usage of different base paths
  - The changes here would be pushed to puppet-modulesync-configs and
deployed to all modules
* (WIP) Add support for different module paths
  - Sets of the use of a "BASE_PATH" environment variable to handle the
differences of /etc/puppetlabs vs. /etc/puppet
* (WIP) Test pupept-openstack modules on more Puppet
  - Initial phase in of new style tests that handle beaker runs for old
style "foss" agent that is going to be stuck in the 3.8.x series and the
new style "agent" from PC1 for 4.x

Thanks,

-- Cody