[openstack-dev] [release] process change for closing bugs when patches merge

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Nov 24 10:29:34 UTC 2015

Steve Martinelli wrote:
> So it's only for this time around (Mitaka-1) that I'll have to tag bugs
> as fix-released, because the release automation will just leave a comment?

We'll likely turn all FixCommitted bugs to FixReleased (one last time)
as part of the transition, so you don't really need to do anything.

> Going forward, the bugs will be automatically marked as fix-released, so
> the automation won't change their states when we release?

Right. The automation will just add a comment to Launchpad saying in
which release the bugfix was shipped, as an information bit for whoever
created the task.

Quick background: One issue with Launchpad is that it's trying to be a
task tracker (a before-landing team work planning and organization tool)
and a change tracker (an after-landing precise account of what made it
into which release), all within the same data model. The trick being,
one side would impact the other + the real list of "what made it into
which release" lives in git history, and Launchpad did not have a
totally accurate picture of that. Hence the move to our own tarball
hosting and reno for change tracking. With this last change, we complete
the separation and can use Launchpad purely as a task tracker. So
project teams can use milestone targeting to plan work (or not) however
they see fit, without impacting release management.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)