[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][aodh][vitrage] Raising custom alarms in AODH

Ryota Mibu r-mibu at cq.jp.nec.com
Tue Nov 24 07:59:59 UTC 2015

Hi Ifat,

Thank you for starting discussion how AODH can be integrated with Vitrage that would be a good example of AODH integration with other OpenStack components.

The key role of creating alarm definition is to set endpoint (alarm_actins) which can be receive alarm notification from AODH. How the endpoints can be set in your use case? Those endpoints are configured via virtage API and stored in its DB?

I agree with Gordon, you can use even-alarm with generating "event" containing alarming message that can be captured in aodh if vitrage relay the alarm definition to aodh. That is more feasible way rather than creating alarm definition right before triggering alarm notification. The reason is that aodh evaluator may not be aware of new alarm definitions and won't send notification until its alarm definition cache is refreshed in less than 60 sec (default value).

Having special rule and external evaluator would be alternative, but it should be difficult to catch up latest aodh, since it will be changed faster with small code base as result of split from ceilometer.

BR,
Ryota