[openstack-dev] [keystone][all] Move from active distrusting model to trusting model

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 04:21:47 UTC 2015

On 11/23/2015 11:42 AM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This email is being written in the context of Keystone more than any
> other project but I strongly believe that other projects could benefit
> from a similar evaluation of the policy.
>
> Most projects have a policy that prevents the following scenario (it
> is a social policy not enforced by code):
>
> * Employee from Company A writes code
> * Other Employee from Company A reviews code
> * Third Employee from Company A reviews and approves code.
>
> This policy has a lot of history as to why it was implemented. I am
> not going to dive into the depths of this history as that is the past
> and we should be looking forward. This type of policy is an actively
> distrustful policy. With exception of a few potentially bad actors
> (again, not going to point anyone out here), most of the folks in the
> community who have been given core status on a project are trusted to
> make good decisions about code and code quality. I would hope that
> any/all of the Cores would also standup to their management chain if
> they were asked to "just push code through" if they didn't sincerely
> think it was a positive addition to the code base.
>
> Now within Keystone, we have a fair amount of diversity of core
> reviewers, but we each have our specialities and in some cases
> (notably KeystoneAuth and even KeystoneClient) getting the required
> diversity of reviews has significantly slowed/stagnated a number of
> reviews.
>
> What I would like us to do is to move to a trustful policy. I can
> confidently say that company affiliation means very little to me when
> I was PTL and nominating someone for core. We should explore making a
> change to a trustful model, and allow for cores (regardless of company
> affiliation) review/approve code. I say this since we have clear steps
> to correct any abuses of this policy change.
>
> With all that said, here is the proposal I would like to set forth:
>
> 1. Code reviews still need 2x Core Reviewers (no change)
> 2. Code can be developed by a member of the same company as both core
> reviewers (and approvers).
> 3. If the trust that is being given via this new policy is violated,
> the code can [if needed], be reverted (we are using git here) and the
> actors in question can lose core status (PTL discretion) and the
> policy can be changed back to the "distrustful" model described above.
>
> I hope that everyone weighs what it means within the community to
> start moving to a trusting-of-our-peers model. I think this would be a
> net win and I'm willing to bet that it will remove noticeable
> roadblocks [and even make it easier to have an organization work
> towards stability fixes when they have the resources dedicated to it].
>
> Thanks for your time reading this.

So, having been one of the initial architects of said policy, I'd like
to reiterate what I felt at the time.  The policy is in place as much to
protect the individual contributors as the project.  If I was put in a
position where I had to review and approve a coworkers code changes, it
is is easier for me to push back on a belligerent manager to say "this
violates project policy."

But, even this is a more paranoid rationale than I feel now.  Each of us
has a perspective based on our customer base.   People make decisions
based on what they feel to be right, but right for a public cloud
provider and right for an Enterprise Software vendor will be different.
Getting a change reviewed by someone outside your organization is for
perspective.  Treat it as a brake against group think.

I know and trust all of the current Keystone core very well.  I have no
expectation that any of them would violate the policy, even given the
looser interpretation.