[openstack-dev] [oslo] Should we make qpid/proton optional dependencies? (please say yes)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Nov 23 18:12:10 UTC 2015

On 23 November 2015 at 22:33, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to use the "extra dependencies" thing in setup.cfg?
> Robert Collins started a similar change for Oslo DB for make DB drivers
> optional:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/184328/
>
> Sadly, this change was not merged yet.
>
> @Robert: any progress on this change?
>
> It would allow to ask for "Oslo Messaging with Qpid support" in service
> dependencies, without knowning the exact required Python packages for Qpid.

The yaks go deep; we (me, Nakato, StevenK, dims) have been working
through the issues in getting this live.

Most recently (yesterday!) we got a bugfix into pip to let you have
the same thing turn up in both requirements.txt (install_requires) and
a second dependency such as an extras reference - without that, the
idiom we wanted to use won't work if any dep turns up unconditionally
and optionally - thats in pip 8.0 which isn't released yet.

We also have a requirements syncing bug which dims has a patch in
progress for, needed to sync properly with extras references.

I *think* that once both those things happen (pip 8 is released, the
sync bug is landed) that the extras stuff will be unblocked and we can
walk it forward.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>