[openstack-dev] [cinder][glance]Upload encrypted volumes to images

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 14:08:55 UTC 2015

On 23/11/15 03:45 +0000, Li, Xiaoyan wrote:
>Hi all,
>More help about volume encryption is needed.
>
>About uploading encrypted volumes to image, there are three options:
>1. Glance only keeps non-encrypted images. So when uploading encrypted volumes to image, cinder de-crypts the data and upload.
>2. Glance maintain encrypted images. Cinder just upload the encrypted data to image.
>3. Just prevent the function to upload encrypted volumes to images.

The subject and content of this email explicitly mentions uploads and
therefore I think #1 is probably the best option here. However, it is
also possible to create an image and make it point to a cinder
location. Then, you could have nova boot from that as if it was
booting from a cinder volume. That way, the image won't be sent to
Glance and it'll remain encrypted in its volume.

Hope I didn't digress from the requirements with that option, which is
still valid.

Flavio