[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Getting rid of Docker containers on the Fuel master node

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Mon Nov 23 12:27:58 UTC 2015

On 23.11.2015 12:47, Aleksandr Maretskiy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as you know, Rally runs inside docker on Fuel master node, so docker
> removal (good improvement) is a problem for Rally users.
>
> To solve this, I'm planning to make native Rally installation on Fuel
> master node that is running on CentOS 7,
> and then make a step-by-step instruction how to make this installation.
>
> So I hope docker removal will not make issues for Rally users.

I believe the most backwards compatible scenario is to keep the docker
installed while removing the fuel-* docker things back to the host OS.
So nothing would prevent user from pulling and running whichever docker
containers he wants to put on the Fuel master node. Makes sense?

> [...]
>                     <vkozhukalov at mirantis.com
>                     <mailto:vkozhukalov at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>
>                         Dear colleagues,
>
>                         As might remember, we introduced Docker
>                         containers on the master node a while ago when
>                         we implemented first version of Fuel upgrade
>                         feature. The motivation behind was to make it
>                         possible to rollback upgrade process if
>                         something goes wrong.
>
>                         Now we are at the point where we can not use our
>                         tarball based upgrade approach any more and
>                         those patches that deprecate upgrade tarball has
>                         been already merged. Although it is a matter of
>                         a separate discussion, it seems that upgrade
>                         process rather should be based on kind of backup
>                         and restore procedure. We can backup Fuel data
>                         on an external media, then we can install new
>                         version of Fuel from scratch and then it is
>                         assumed backed up Fuel data can be applied over
>                         this new Fuel instance. The procedure itself is
>                         under active development, but it is clear that
>                         rollback in this case would be nothing more than
>                         just restoring from the previously backed up data.
>
>                         As for Docker containers, still there are
>                         potential advantages of using them on the Fuel
>                         master node, but our current implementation of
>                         the feature seems not mature enough to make us
>                         benefit from the containerization.
>
>                         At the same time there are some disadvantages like
>
>                           * it is tricky to get logs and other
>                             information (for example, rpm -qa) for a
>                             service like shotgun which is run inside one
>                             of containers.
>                           * it is specific UX when you first need to run
>                             dockerctl shell {container_name} and then
>                             you are able to debug something.
>                           * when building IBP image we mount directory
>                             from the host file system into mcollective
>                             container to make image build faster.
>                           * there are config files and some other files
>                             which should be shared among containers
>                             which introduces unnecessary complexity to
>                             the whole system.
>                           * our current delivery approach assumes we
>                             wrap into rpm/deb packages every single
>                             piece of the Fuel system. Docker images are
>                             not an exception. And as far as they depend
>                             on other rpm packages we forced to build
>                             docker-images rpm package using kind of
>                             specific build flow. Besides this package is
>                             quite big (300M).
>                           * I'd like it to be possible to install Fuel
>                             not from ISO but from RPM repo on any rpm
>                             based distribution. But it is double work to
>                             support both Docker based and package based
>                             approach.
>
>                         Probably some of you can give other examples.
>                         Anyway, the idea is to get rid of Docker
>                         containers on the master node and switch to
>                         plane package based approach that we used before.
>
>                         As far as there is nothing new here, we just
>                         need to use our old site.pp (with minimal
>                         modifications), it looks like it is possible to
>                         implement this during 8.0 release cycle. If
>                         there are no principal objections, please give
>                         me a chance to do this ASAP (during 8.0), I know
>                         it is a huge risk for the release, but still I

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando