[openstack-dev] [devstack]Question about using Devstack

Bob Ball bob.ball at citrix.com
Mon Nov 23 11:25:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

Devstack is intended for development, so when you reboot it is not expecting to be able to preserve any information, and will give you a fresh environment to continue development on.

The XenServer devstack installation uses a separate VM, but devstack is automatically run at boot, as there is no information preserved.  It should also delete any VMs that were running from the previous devstack run while it is starting up.

1)      Unfortunately not; starting of the services is tightly coupled with the setup and there is an assumption that *anything* may have changed (from IPs to configuration in localrc)

2)      Possibly; but my understanding is it would be quite tricky.  Devstack assumes access to the Ubuntu repositories as well as various other sources for pip, URLs for images and probably others.

I know that Mirantis OpenStack can work without internet access (https://www.mirantis.com/blog/using-fuel-control-repositories-openstack-deployment/) and there is a XenServer plugin for Fuel available from https://www.mirantis.com/products/openstack-drivers-and-plugins/fuel-plugins/
Check out https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2015/10/23/deploying-mirantis-openstack-on-a-single-xenserver/ for an easy guide to set this environment up on a single XenServer host, or https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/fuel-plugin-xenserver/plain/doc/user-guide.pdf?h=6.1 for the user guide

Thanks,

Bob