[openstack-dev] [nova] Versioned notifications... who cares about the version?

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Mon Nov 23 10:01:18 UTC 2015

gord chung said on Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 01:32:02PM -0500:
> On 20/11/15 11:33 AM, Alexis Lee wrote:
> >why would a producer spit out non-useful datapoints? If no-one cares
> >or will ever care, it simply shouldn't be included.
>
> ... right now the
> producer is just sending out a grab bag of data that it thinks is
> important but doesn't define who the audience is. ...
>
> ... whoever the producer of notifications is, it should know it's
> audience.

Here I, with cdent, have to disagree. The criterion has to be
"potentially useful to someone", rather than tailoring production to the
known audience.

> >The problem is knowing what each consumer thinks is interesting and that
> >isn't something that can be handled by the producer.

^ this is important.

> the notification consumption service in ceilometer is essentially
> just a pipeline that normalises select incoming notifications into a
> data model(s) and pushes that model to whoever wants it (a known
> consumer is the storage service but it's configurable to allow other
> consumers).

It sounds like Ceilometer is performing a mapping function then and has
to be responsible for knowing how to do that. IE Ceilometer has to
express an opinion on relevance and presentation. This is inevitably
going to be a pain in the butt to maintain, but it's Ceilometer's job,
not the services, since it's Ceilometer trying to express an opinion.

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.