[openstack-dev] [nova] nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows broken

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 19:23:47 UTC 2015

On Nov 20, 2015, at 6:18, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> instance_actions seems extremely useful, and at the ops meetups I've
> been to has been one of the favorite features because it allows and easy
> interface for "going back in time" to figure out what happened.

Agreed, we're using it because it's such a quick and easy way to see what actions have been taken on an instance when users need support. We're not yet collecting notifications from the queue -- we do have them being dumped to the logs that are splunk searchable. So far, it hasn't been "easy" to look at instance action history that way.

> I'd suggest the following:
>
> 1. soft deleting and instance does nothing with instance actions.
>
> 2. archiving instance (soft delete -> actually deleted) also archives
> off instance actions.
>
> 3. update instance_actions API so that you can get instance_actions for
> deleted instances (which I think doesn't work today).

+1

I kept trying to craft a reply to this thread and fortunately I waited long enough that someone else said exactly what I was trying to say.

-melanie (irc: melwitt)