[openstack-dev] [nova] Versioned notifications... who cares about the version?

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Fri Nov 20 16:33:00 UTC 2015

gord chung said on Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 11:59:33PM -0500:
> just to clarify, the idea doesn't involve tailoring the notification
> payload to ceilometer, just that if a producer is producing a
> notification it knows contains a useful datapoint, the producer
> should tell someone explicitly 'this datapoint exists'.

I know very little about Nova notifications or Ceilometer, so stepping
wildly into the unknown here but... why would a producer spit out
non-useful datapoints? If no-one cares or will ever care, it simply
shouldn't be included.

The problem is knowing what each consumer thinks is interesting and that
isn't something that can be handled by the producer. If Ceilometer is
just a pipeline that has no opinion on what's relevant and what isn't,
that's a special case easily implemented by an identity function.

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.