[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][neutron] branches for release-independent projects targeting Openstack release X

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 20 16:15:10 UTC 2015

Jesse Pretorius wrote:
> [...]
> The deployment projects, and probably packaging projects too, are faced
> with the same issue. There's no guarantee that their x release will be
> done on the same day as the OpenStack services release their x branches
> as the deployment projects still need some time to verify stability and
> functionality once the services are finalised.

The question then becomes: are you making an "x release", or are you
making a release "supporting/compatible with the x release". What you
are saying is that you need some time because you are downstream,
reacting to the x release. That is a fair request: you're actually
making a release that supports the x release, you're not in the x
release. The line in the sand is based on the date: if you release
within the development cycle constraints then you're part of the
release, if you release after you're downstream of it, reacting to it.

What you need to be able to do in all cases is creating a stable branch
to maintain that release over the long run. But what you may not be able
to do is to be considered "part of the x release" if you release months
after the x release is done and shipped.

I'll elaborate on that with a more complete proposal on Monday.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)