[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova]Move encryptors to os-brick

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 12:45:15 UTC 2015

Brick does not have to take over the decisions in order to be a useful
repository for the code. The motivation for this work is to avoid having
the dm setup code copied wholesale into cinder, where it becomes difficult
to keep in sync with the code in nova.

Cinder needs a copy of this code since it is on the data path for certain
operations (create from image, copy to image, backup/restore, migrate).

I suggest a design where the worker code is in brick but the decisions stay
in nova. This enables code sharing while not substantially altering the
nova plan - it also encourages strong back-compatibility guarantees with on
disk formats since the dm setup part off the code will be slightly more
difficult to modify.