[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer]:Subscribe and Publish Notification frame work in Ceilometer !

gord chung gord at live.ca
Fri Nov 20 05:07:41 UTC 2015

On 19/11/15 10:26 PM, Srikanth Vavilapalli wrote:

> Hi Gord
>
> On your second point, Yes, Ceilometer does provide a framework to
> capture a notification and republish to multiple “publish targets” in
> addition to the collector service using udp/kafka/notification as the
> transport mechanisms… We believe this is how “Event Alarm Evaluator”
> module in Aodh project get notified directly from Notification Agents.
>
> However seems like the configuration of these additional “publish
> targets” is supported only through updating the pipeline_cfg_file and
> restarting the corresponding ceilometer services. i.e. the users need
> to manually update the pipeline config files to insert their “publish
> targets” in the sink-publisher configuration for a set of event
> filters of their interest. This type of provisioning is very static.
>
> As per our understanding, ceilometer currently does not provide means
> for users to dynamically register/unregister their “publish targets”
> with ceilometer framework for a subset events of their interest? i.e
> User invokes a ceilometer API with a set of event filters and
> associated publish targets, that can be stored in a data store, which
> will eventually be used by the ceilometer Publisher to dispatch the
> notification to those configured destinations in addition to the
> statically configured “publish targets”. Plz let us know if our
> understanding is wrong or if there are any other means to achieve the
> above functionality. We believe this as a very key functionality
> needed to build latency sensitive (sub-second) analytics application
> on-top of ceilometer framework. We are seeking the feedback from
> community on having this kind of functionality inside ceilometer
> before proceeding with blueprint submission.

actually, in Liberty you can configure a reload[1][2] to refresh
pipeline when a change happens. based on survey results, most operators
don't need this functionality so it's off by default but it seems you do. :)

[1]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ceilometer-specs/specs/liberty/reload-file-based-pipeline-configuration.html
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/pipeline.py#L50-L58