[openstack-dev] [ironic] Redfish drivers in ironic

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hpe.com
Thu Nov 19 23:50:43 UTC 2015

Hello,

Vladyslav Drok said on Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 03:59:41PM +0200:
>Hi list and Bruno,
>
>I’m interested in adding virtual media boot interface for redfish (
>https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic/+spec/redfish-virtual-media-boot).
>It depends on https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic/+spec/ironic-redfish
>and a corresponding spec https://review.openstack.org/184653, that proposes
>adding support for redfish (adding new power and management interfaces) to
>ironic. It also seems to depend on python-redfish client -
>https://github.com/devananda/python-redfish.

Very good idea ;-)

> I’d like to know what is the current status of it?

We have made recently some successful tests with both a real HP ProLiant
server with a redfish compliant iLO FW (2.30+) and the DMTF simulator.

The version working for these tests is at
https://github.com/bcornec/python-redfish (prototype branch)

I think we should now move that work into master and make again a pull
request to Devananda.

> Is there some roadmap of what should be added to
>python-redfish (or is the one mentioned in spec is still relevant)?

I think this is still relevant.

>Is there a way for others to contribute in it?

Feel free to git clone the repo and propose patches to it ! We would be
happy to have contributors :-) I've also copied our mailing list to the
other contributors are aware of this.

> Bruno, do you plan to move it
>under ironic umbrella, or into pyghmi as people suggested in spec?

That's a difficult question. One one hand, I don't think python-redfish
should be under the OpenStack umbrella per se. This is a useful python
module to dialog with servers providing a Redfish interface and this has
no relationship with OpenStack ... except that it's very useful for
Ironic ! But could also be used by other projects in the future such as
Hadoop for node deployment, or my MondoRescue Disaster Recovery project
e.g. That's also why we have not used OpenStack modules in order to
avoid to create an artificial dependency that could prevent that module
tobe used py these other projects.

I'm new to the python galaxy myself, but thought that pypy would be the
right place for it, but I really welcome suggestions here.

I also need to come back to the Redfish spec itself and upate with the
atest feedback we got, in order to have more up to date content for the
Mitaka cycle.

Best regards,
Bruno.
--