[openstack-dev] [tripleo] When to use parameters vs parameter_defaults

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 19:38:17 UTC 2015

> My personal preference is to say:
>
> 1. Any templates which are included in the default environment (e.g
> overcloud-resource-registry-puppet.yaml), must expose their parameters
> via overcloud-without-mergepy.yaml
>
> 2. Any templates which are included in the default environment, but via a
> "noop" implementation *may* expose their parameters provided they are
> common and not implementation/vendor specific.

I think this makes sense. Two combination of these two represent what
TripleO views as the common* API for deploying.

* "common" in the sense that you may not use all of them every time, but
they are part of the expected deployments.

I still have concerns with us not treating this strongly enough as a
versioned API, but we can discuss that in a different thread. That's
more of a "when" we change the parameters v. the conventions on "how" we
do it.