[openstack-dev] [oslo] Should we make qpid/proton optional dependencies? (please say yes)

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 19 19:13:04 UTC 2015

On 11/19/2015 12:22 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> I want to fix a thing in oslo.messaging but to my surprise I can't run
> pep8. This is because python-qpid-proton tries to install qpid-proton
> and it can't get that because the apache site where it's hosted is down.
> [1]
>
> The apache site for qpid has actually been down a lot lately, I
> coincidentally know that because of trying to access QPID security
> issues for backports to things like Grizzly - yay for me!
>
> Anyway, depending on a 3rd party repo like this to get packages just to
> run pep8/unit tests in oslo.messaging is the suck.  Can we make this
> optional?  Isn't the qpid stuff in tree deprecated anyway?
>
> [1] http://paste.openstack.org/show/479460/

So apparently IBM's Rochester, MN site hates apache and was blocking me
from getting to it. I've manually installed the depbs on Trusty and I'm
working now. That is infinitely easier than filling out a gazillion
fields on a support ticket, getting it routed to the wrong place b/c of
said gazillion fields, and then hearing back in 2 years after I've
stopped working on any of this.

Matt Riedemann