[openstack-dev] [nova][infra] Getting a bleeding edge libvirt gate job running

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Thu Nov 19 17:08:30 UTC 2015

<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> Date: 11/18/2015 10:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][infra] Getting a bleeding edge
> libvirt gate job running
>
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:46:40AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
The
This
We

OVS w/

> point the job
> > >
> > > I was really hoping to decouple the build from the dsvm jobs.  My
initial
> > > thoughts were a add a devstack plugin that add $repo and then
upgrade
> > > $packages.  I wanted to decouple the build from install as I
> assumed that the
> > > delays in building libvirt (etc) would be problematic *and* provide
another
> > > failure mode for devstack that we really don't want to deal with.
> > >
> > > I was only thinking of having libvirt and qemu in there but if the
> plug-in was
> > > abstract enough it could easily provide packages for other help
> utils (like OVS
> > > and DPDK).
> > >
> > > When I started looking at this Ubuntu was the likely candidate as
> Fedora in the gate
> > > wasn't really a stable thing.  I see a little more fedora in
> nodepool so perhaps a
> > > really quick win would be to just use the lib-virt preview on F22.
> >
> > Trying to build from bleeding edge is just a can of worms as you'll
need to
> > have someone baby-sitting the job to fix it up on new releases when
the
> > list of build deps changes or build options alter. As an example, next
> > QEMU release will require you to pull in 3rd party libcacard library
> > for SPICE build, since it was split out, so there's already a build
> > change pending that would cause a regression in the gate.
>
> Right, that's why I wanted to decouple the build from the gate. releases
don't
> happen that often so if virt-preview/UCA isn't appropraite for some
reason I
> can easly dedicate a day/project/release to build the packages.
>
> > So, my recommendation would really be to just use Fedora with
virt-preview
> > for the bleeding edge and avoid trying to compile stuff in the gate.
The
> > virt-preview repository tracks upstream releases of
QEMU+Libvirt+libguestfs
> > with minimal delay and is built with the same configuration as future
Fedora
> > releases will use. So such testing is good evidence that Nova won't
break on
> > the next Fedora release.
>
> Right that was more or less my motivation.
>
> Yours Tony.

Sometimes I get lost in threads, so I try to summarize the current
progress here:

Interim summary
===============
* Building libvirt from source is a bad idea
* Other functionality has also the need to test latest greates (OVS)
* Using a Fedora with enabled "virt-preview" would be already available
* The Ubuntu cloud archives (UCA) do not have the latest libvirt

TBC:
----
* @ubuntu: Is there a change to have a UCA with latest libvirt? (tonyb)
* @infra: What if any concerns do you have with a job on the
  experimental pipeline pulling stuff from the Internet? (tonyb)
* @infra: Later if we wanted to add this job to the check pipeline would
  we need to mirror the repo closer to the nodes? (tonyb)

Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)