[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][neutron] branches for release-independent projects targeting Openstack release X

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Nov 19 15:35:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19 2015, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> In my mind the “independent” release model was originally meant to mean that
> the project was completely on their own, doing potentially incorrect and random
> releases. It wasn’t something I anticipated projects *wanting* to use. It
> evolved to mean something closer to the opposite of the “managed” tag, but I
> think we should pull back from that use. We want projects to clearly indicate
> which of the other cycle-oriented models they intend to follow, and we want
> something cycle-based for most projects to help distributors and deployers
> understand which versions of things should be used together.
>
> If neither of the existing cycle-based tags meets the needs of a large number
> of projects, then we should have a clear description of the model actually
> being followed so we can tag the projects following it. That may mean, in this
> case, a cycle-with-intermediary-following or something similar, to mean “we
> have cyclical releases but they come after the cycle of most of the other
> projects”.

Gnocchi is applying "release early, release often" so there is no really
any big cycle like older OpenStack projects. Major or minor versions are
released from time to time, and more often than 6 months in general.

It would be good to support that as being *normal*, not "potentially
incorrect and random"!

> It’s unfortunate that we have so many tools that depend on the “stable/“
> prefix. I looked, and in addition to devstack-gate the release tools assume the
> name stable. It’s not something we can change this cycle, because of the other
> priorities, but it would be useful to think about whether we could treat a
> series/ prefix the same way as stable/ in those tools, to have an option for
> the branch name. I have no idea how much work that would be. In the mean time,
> I agree that using the tag as the true indicator that the stable policy is
> being followed is a good compromise.

And by the way, it's a shame that the release:has-stable-branches cannot
be applied for release:independent. We have stable branches in Gnocchi,
we cannot have that tag currently for that only reason. Worse, we often
hit issue about assumption made about how projects are released. See my
recent thread about the devstack-gate based jobs failing for stable
branches.

It'd be awesome to free those projects and support more flexible release
schedule for project having a different velocity.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker