[openstack-dev] [releases] Release countdown for week R-19, Nov 23-27

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Nov 19 14:42:43 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2015-11-18 18:22:59 -0600:

> On 11/18/2015 4:09 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Focus
> > -----
> >
> > We are currently working towards the Mitaka 1 milestone scheduled
> > for Dec 1-3. Teams should be focusing on wrapping up incomplete
> > work left over from the end of the Liberty cycle, finalizing and
> > announcing plans from the summit, and completing specs and blueprints.
> >
> > Keep in mind that the US Thanksgiving holiday is Nov 26-27, and
> > that may affect review times for work being completed before the
> > milestone.
> >
> > Release Actions
> > ---------------
> >
> > We will be using the openstack/releases repository to manage the
> > Mitaka 1 milestone tags. I will send out a separate email with more
> > detailed instructions the week before the milestone.
> >
> > We will be using reno instead of launchpad for tracking completed
> > work, so please make sure any release notes for work already done
> > this cycle are committed to your master branches before proposing
> > the milestone tag.
> >
> > All deliverables should have reno configured before Mitaka 1. See
> > http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/078301.html
> > for details, and follow up on that thread with questions. We're
> > making good progress on this, but have a ways to go.
> >
> > Review stable/liberty branches for patches that have landed since
> > the last release and determine if your deliverables need new tags.
>
> What do you mean about new tags for stable/liberty? Release notes or
> actual git tags? I'm not sure how stable/liberty is related to the
> mitaka-1 milestone.

Part of the change in release management this cycle was to desynchronize
stable releases. Rather than having a single stable release manager
ensuring that projects tag stable releases all at the same time,
we are encouraging the release liaison and PTL of each project to
request those releases themselves. I'm including periodic reminders
to do that in these countdown emails. So there's no relationship between
stable/liberty and mitaka, except that I happened to mention both in the
same update email.

Doug