[openstack-dev] [ironic] specs process for ironic-inspector

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Thu Nov 19 13:39:08 UTC 2015

Hi all,

+1 for specs in general, big features require a proper review and
discussion for which LP is not a good choice.

+1 for not requiring a spec for small features, LP BP is enough for just
time/release tracking, but of course cores can request a proper spec to be
proposed if feeling feature is worth discussion.

0 for using ironic-specs. It will increase visibility to wider ironic
community, sure. But it seems ironic-inspector has to decide how integrated
it should be with the other ironic project infra pieces as well. For
example, there is now a patch on review to build a proper sphinx docs for
ironic-inspector. Should those then be published and where? Should
ironic-inspector have own doc site e.g.
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic-inspector/, or somehow be
incorporated in ironic doc site? IMO decision on specs and docs should be
consistent.

Best regards,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 3:20 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I've been dodging subj for some time (mostly due to my laziness), but
> now it seems like the time has come. We're discussing 2 big features:
> autodiscovery and HA that I would like us to have a proper consensus on.
>
> I'd like to get your opinion on one of the options:
> 1. Do not have specs, only blueprints are enough for us.
> 2. Reuse ironic-specs repo, create our own subdirectory with our own
> template
> 3. Create a new ironic-inspector-specs repo.
>
> I vote for #2, as sharing a repo with the remaining ironic would
> increase visibility of large inspector changes (i.e. those deserving a
> spec). We would probably use [inspector] tag in the commit summary, so
> that people explicitly NOT wanting to review them can quickly ignore.
>
> Also note that I still see #1 (use only blueprints) as a way to go for
> simple features.
>
> WDYT?

Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Senior Software Engineer