[openstack-dev] [opnfv-users] [opnfv-tech-discuss] How can I install Redhat-OSP using Fuel

Dan Radez dradez at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 15:53:24 UTC 2015

Hello LUFei,

Tim and I are working on Apex together, Let me see if I can fill in some
gaps for you to help understand some of the relationships of these
projects and the game plan for their future.

1) You are correct both director and Apex are based on triple-o. The
difference is that director is a supported product of Red Hat and Apex
is a community project specific to OPNFV. Another item in this mix that
should be mentioned is RDO Manager (http://rdoproject.org). Apex is
built on top of RDO Manager.

At Red Hat for every product that we have we also support a community
project. So Director and RDO Manager are the Product/Community-Project
counterparts of each other. If you want to install an RPM based
installation of OpenStack You should choose one of these and choose in
light of whether you would like it Enterprise supported or community
supported.

Apex is a Community project that does not have a product counterpart.
Its purpose is to add NFV capabilities to RDO Manager and build release
artifacts for the OPNFV project according to OPNFV requirements.

2) Director / RDO Manager have added a setup tool called Instack that
will setup an undercloud for you and they provide documentation how to
interact with instack to deploy your over cloud.

3) Apex is the new name for the project that was the Foreman/Quickstack
installer. We will not release an updated version of Foreman/Quickstack
in OPNFV. Instead it will be replaced by Apex.

We hope to have Apex ready to start being consumed by users in a preview
like status sometime this week or next. There are a couple more patches
we are trying to land in the the codebase before it will be ready to use.

One in particular is the installation-instructions. I have a
work-in-progress patch here:
https://github.com/radez/apex/blob/installation-instructions/docs/src/installation-instructions.rst

Please feel free to start reading these and provide and feedback or ask
questions.

Please let me know if you have more questions that we can answer to help
clarify things for you.

Dan Radez
freenode: radez