[openstack-dev] [networking-ovs-dpdk]

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 18 13:53:55 UTC 2015

Hi Sean

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Mooney, Sean K <sean.k.mooney at intel.com>
wrote:

> Hi james
>
> Yes we are planning on testing the packaged release to see if it is
> compatible with our ml2 driver and the
>
> Changes we are submitting upstream. If it is we will add a use binary flag
> to our devstack plugin to skip the
>
> Compilation step and use that instead on 15.10 or 14.04
> cloud-archive:liberty

Excellent.

> As part of your packaging did ye fix pciutils to correctly report the
> unused drivers when an interface is bound
>
> The dpdk driver? Also does it support both igb_uio and/or vfio-pci drivers
> for dpdk interface?

Re pcituils, we've not done any work in that area - can you give an example
of what you would expect?

The dpdk package supports both driver types in /etc/dpdk/interfaces - when
you declare an adapter for use, you get to specify the module you want to
use as well; we're relying the in-tree kernel drivers (uio-pci-generic and
vfio-pci) right now.

> Anyway yes I hope to check it out and seeing what ye have done. When
> ovs-dpdk starts getting packaged in more operating systems
>
> We will probably swap our default to the binary install though we will
> keep the source install option as it allows us to work on new features
>
> Before they are packaged and to have better performance.

That sounds sensible; re 'better performance' - yeah we do have to baseline
the optimizations at compile time right now (ssse3 only right now) , but I
really hope that does change so that we can move to a runtime CPU feature
detection model, allowing the best possible performance through the
packages we have in Ubuntu (or any other distribution for that matter).