[openstack-dev] [stable][neutron] upper constraints for stable/liberty

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 13:07:45 UTC 2015

Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> On 14 November 2015 at 02:53, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sachi and all,
>>
>> I was recently looking into how stable/liberty branches are set for
>> neutron
>> in terms of requirements caps, and I realized that we don’t have neither
>> version caps nor upper constraints applied to unit test jobs in
>> stable/liberty gate. We have -constraints targets defined in tox.ini, but
>> they are not running in gate.
>>
>> I believe this situation leaves us open to breakages by any random library
>> releases out there. Am I right? If so, I would like to close the breakage
>> vector for projects I care (all neutron stadium).
>>
>> I suggest we do the following:
>>
>> - unless there is some specific reason for that, stop running
>> unconstrained
>> jobs in neutron/master;
>
> Sachi King is working up a bit of data mining to confirm that the
> constraints jobs are only failing when unconstrained jobs fail - then
> we're going to propose the change to project-config to switch around
> which vote.

For what I saw in neutron, it never fails unless there is actual constraint
not bumped.

>> - enable voting for constraints jobs in neutron/liberty; once proved to
>> work
>> fine, stop running unconstrained jobs in neutron/liberty;
>
> I expect the same query can answer this as well.
>
>> - for neutron-*aas, introduce constraints targets in tox.ini, enable
>> jobs in
>> gate; make them vote there/remove old jobs;
>> - after that, backport constraints targets to stable/liberty; make them
>> vote
>> there/remove old jobs.
>
> We're going to advocate widespread adoption once the neutron master
> ones are voting
>
>> Does the plan make sense?
>
> Totally :) As non-Neutron-contributors we've just been conservative in
> our recommendations; if Neutron wants to move a little faster by
> taking on a little risk, thats *totally cool* IMO.

I believe there is general understanding that it’s the way to go, and we
were already happy to be guinea pigs for initial data mining, so I don’t
expect problems getting the core team onboard.

My question was more about what we do with stable/liberty branches. Is it
part of the plan that we backport the constraint jobs there?

Ihar