[openstack-dev] [nova][infra] Getting a bleeding edge libvirt gate job running

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 11:15:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 06:46:58AM +1100, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On 11/18/2015 06:10 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
>  This
> >was a trigger to see if we can create a gate job which utilizes the
> >latest, bleeding edge, version of libvirt to test such features.
>
> >* Is already someone working on something like that and I missed it?
>
> I believe the closest we have got is probably [1]; pulling apart some
> of the comments there might be helpful

After months of review, and being almost close to merge, the "Support
for libvirt/QEMU tar releases" patch you refer to below, seems to be
abandoned by the contributor.

It is functionally fine and just ought to put in an external plugin (as
you note below) and add the relevant glue code in DevStack to call it.

> In short, a devstack plugin that installs the latest libvirt is
> probably the way to go.
>
> Ongoing, the only issue I see is that we do things to base devstack
> that conflict/break this plugin, as we are more-or-less assuming the
> distro version (see things like [2], stuff like this comes up every
> now and then).
>
> >* If 'no', is there already a repo which contains the very latest
> >   libvirt builds which we can utilize?
>
> For Fedora, there is virt-preview  [3] at least

Yep, it is actively maintained.

--
/kashyap