[openstack-dev] [nova][infra] Getting a bleeding edge libvirt gate job running

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Tue Nov 17 19:10:32 UTC 2015

Background
==========
The blueprint [1] wants to utilize the *virtlogd* logging deamon from
libvirt. Among others to solve bug [2], one of our oldest ones. The
funny part is, that this libvirt feature is still in development. This
was a trigger to see if we can create a gate job which utilizes the
latest, bleeding edge, version of libvirt to test such features. We
discussed it shortly in IRC [3] (tonyb, bauzas, markus_z) and wanted to
get some feedback here. The summary of the idea is:
* Create a custom repo which contains the latest libvirt version
* Enhance Devstack so that it can point to a custom repo to install
  the built libvirt packages
* Have a nodepool image which is compatible with the libvirt packages
* In case of [1]: check if tempest needs further/changed tests

Open questions
* Is already someone working on something like that and I missed it?
* If 'no', is there already a repo which contains the very latest
  libvirt builds which we can utilize?

I haven't done anything with the gates before, which means there is a
very high chance I'm missing something or missunderstanding a concept.
Please let me know what you think.