[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][upgrade] Grenade multinode partial upgrade

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Nov 16 12:06:22 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 06:57 AM, Korzeniewski, Artur wrote:
> Thanks Sean D. for explanation!
>

> I’ve taken a look into old Russell patches, and it seems that the
> project-config was already modified by him:
>
> Add check-grenade-dsvm-partial-ncpu-neutron: (project-config)
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189426
>
> Add check-grenade-dsvm-partial-ncpu-neutron-dvr (project-config)
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189727

These are not the project-config changes you want. The old partial
method is deprecated, instead you should be using multinode + grenade
(per the conversation at the top of this thread).

> Another 2 patches are introducing the Neutron partial job to devstack-gate
>
> Add partial-ncpu-neutron grenade mode (devstack-gate)
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189424/
>
> Add partial-ncpu-neutron-dvr grenade mode (devstack-gate)
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189715

Again, you don't want these patches. These are the wrong direction.

> I haven’t tested that yet, but it looks like it does the job.
>

> Also, there is still one patch in Devstack needed for L3 agent separate
> start/stop:
>
> Separate start/stop control of the Neutron L3 agent. (Devstack)
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189710/

No, we don't need that patch.

> From what Sean D. talked about, following patches should not be resurrected:
>
> Support partial upgrades of Neutron in DVR mode: (Grenade)
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189712
>
>  Support partial Neutron upgrades. (Grenade)
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189417/

No, you don't want those either.

> In order to test the RPC right, we should be able to decouple the
> neutron server from its agents – L2, L3, DHCP and metadata agents.
>
> Current scenario will let us to test :
>
> 1.       Legacy:
>
> a.       Controller & network node: neutron server, L2, L3, Metadata and
> DHCP agents
>
> b.      Compute node: L2 agent.
>
> 2.       DVR:
>
> a.       Controller & network node: neutron server, L2, L3, Metadata and
> DHCP agents
>
> b.      Compute node: L2, L3, Metadata(?) agents
>

> We can start with current scenario, but this does not guarantee us to
> test of DHCP RPC.
>

> The ideal upgrade scenario should look like this:
>
> 1.       Legacy:
>
> a.       Controller node: neutron server
>
> b.      Network node: L2, L3, Metadata and DHCP server
>
> c.       Compute node: L2 agent
>
> 2.       DVR:
>
> a.       Controller node: neutron server
>
> b.      Network node: L2, L3, Metadata and DHCP server
>
> c.       Compute node: L2, L3 and Metadata agent
>

> The job still to be done in order to fully test partial upgrades:
>
> -          Decouple the DHCP and metadata agent from devstack neutron
> restart
>
> -          Look through the grenade Neutron code in order to identify if
> we are creating the all the resources critical to test the upgrades
>
> -          Debug, debug, debug…
>

> Regards,
>
> Artur

Sean Dague