[openstack-dev] [stable] Making stable maintenance its own OpenStack project team

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 13 14:10:24 UTC 2015

So.. quick summary of this thread so far.

(-)
* Not enough work to warrant a designated "team", now that the work is
decentralized and the cats are mostly herding themselves
* The change is unlikely to bring a meaningful improvement to the
situation, or sudden new resources

(+)
* An empowered team could tackle new coordination tasks, like engaging
more directly in converging stable branch rules across teams, or
producing tools
* Release management doesn't overlap anymore with stable branch, so
having them under that PTL is limiting and inefficient
* Reinforcing the branding (by giving it its own team) may encourage
more organizations to affect new resources to it

In summary, I think this is worth a try. If the team fails, at least it
will be on its own rather than as the 5th squeaky wheel of release
management (where lack of leadership and focus could be rightly blamed
for failure).

For this to succeed, we need someone to own the effort and push it
forward, and a number of people caring enough about it to attend regular
meetings about it and to lurk on #openstack-stable. I'm fine helping the
team in the spin-off effort but I don't want to lead it (I proved I was
unable to make it my top priority in the past, so I think the team
deserves a more focused lead).

Erno has volunteered to lead. Ihar, Alan (Pevec) and myself don't have
enough time to lead but are happy to help. Anyone else interested to
join that initial group ? Flavio ? Matt ?

Once we have a list of key members we should set up a meeting to discuss
the details.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)