[openstack-dev] [oslo][all] Oslo libraries dropping python 2.6 compatability

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Nov 11 20:27:00 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-11 14:07:25 -0600 (-0600), Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 14:14 -0500, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > Any concerns? please chime in:
> > https://review.openstack.org/244275
>
> Commented on the review, but I have to point out that python-novaclient,
> which, to my knowledge, still supports Python 2.6, also happens to
> depend on oslo.i18n, oslo.serialization, and oslo.utils.  If we drop
> Python 2.6 compatibility on any of those three, we would also have to
> drop it from novaclient (and potentially other clients).  Perhaps we
> need to have a discussion about whether the clients still need to
> support Python 2.6?

The Infrastructure team's plan is to remove our CentOS 6.x job
workers and any jobs currently running on them (which would include
all the current Python 2.6 jobs) when stable/juno reaches EOL,
shortly after the 2014.2.4 release on November 19. If projects want
to restore Python 2.6 testing, they'll need some custom job to
install the desired interpreter from somewhere unofficial (e.g. the
deadsnakes PPA for Ubuntu Trusty) at runtime.
--
Jeremy Stanley