[openstack-dev] [puppet] <modulename>::db classes

Clayton O'Neill clayton at oneill.net
Wed Nov 11 14:50:17 UTC 2015

I discovered this issue last night and opened a bug on it (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/puppet-tuskar/+bug/1515273).

This effects most of the modules, and the short version of it is that the
defaults in all the <modulename>::db classes are wrong for max_pool_size
and max_overflow.  We’re setting test to 10 and 20, but oslo_db actually
has no internal default.

The two options I see for fixing this are to either put in place the old
traditional:

if $option_name {
  # ensure value
} else {
  # ensure absent
}

and do that for at least the two values with the wrong defaults, or
preferably, change the defaults for all of these parameters to use the
service default fact.

I prefer the latter approach.  I know there has been some discussion on
Trello about how much we want to be using the service default fact, but as
near as I can tell, the concerns seem to mostly about not accidentally
reverting intentionally different values and breaking existing installs.

This scenario seems to be the ideal candidate for just not setting a value
unless the deployer has specifically asked for something special.