[openstack-dev] [telemetry][gnocchi] defining scope/domain

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Nov 11 09:19:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10 2015, gord chung wrote:

Hi Gordon,

> i was doing some googling on the current state of time series databases to see
> if there was a worthwhile db to implement as a Gnocchi driver and it seems
> we're currently in the same state as before: there are flaws with all open
> source time series databases but if you have lots of money, Splunk is legit[1].

The thing is the Carbonara based backend is starting to work pretty
well, so there's less and less attraction towards other solutions
anyway.

> as i get asked what Gnocchi is/does pretty often, i usually point them to
> docs[2]. that said, do we think it's necessary to define and list explicit use
> cases for Gnocchi? Gnocchi is 'a resource indexing and metric storage service'
> is a nice one-liner but would a comparison of Gnocchi make it easier to
> understand[3]. just wondering if there's a  way we can make Gnocchi easier to
> understand and consumable.

Yes, I think there is. We should write typical use cases and example in
the documentation so that people may get a grasp of what Gnocchi is and
what kind of problem it can or cannot solve.

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker