[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [OSC] Quick poll: OpenStackClient command for provision action

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 16:26:16 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 05:14 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com
> <mailto:dtantsur at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>       inspect, manage, provide, active and abort are all provisioning
>     verbs used in ironic API. they usually represent some complex
>     operations on a node. Inspection is not related to showing, it's
>     about fetching hardware properties from hardware itself and updating
>     ironic database. manage sets a node to a specific ("manageable")
>     state. etc.
>

> inspect seems like a very specific action and is probably OK as-is.  We
> should sanity-check other resources in OpenStack that it might also be
> used with down the road and how different the action might be.

ironic-inspector uses term "introspection", but that's another long story.

> Those that are states of a resource should be handled with a set command.

Speaking of consistency, all these move a node in the ironic state
machine, so it might be weird to have "inspect" but "set manageable".
Maybe it's only me, not sure.. The problem is that some states
manipulation result in a simple actions (e.g. "manage" action either
does nothing or does power credentials validation depending on the
initial state). But most provision state changes involve complex long
running operations ("active" to deploy, "deleted" to undeploy and clean,
"inspect" to conduct inspection). Not sure how to make these consistent,
any suggestions are very welcome.

>     boot and shutdown are natural opposites, aka power on and power off.
>

> The analogous server commands (create/delete) may not make sense here
> because, unlike with a server (VM), a resource is not being created or
> deleted.  But a user might expect to use the same commands in both
> places.  We need to consider which of those is more important.  I like
> to break ties on the side of user experience consistency.
>
> Honestly, at some point as a user, I'd like to forget whether my server
> is a bare metal box or not and just use the same commands to manage it.

Well, it's not possible. Or more precisely, it is possible if you use
ironic indirectly via nova API. But power on/off is not very similar to
instance create/delete. Instance create is actually correlates to
"active" provision state, instance deletion - to "deleted" (yeah, naming
is no so good here).

> Also, I'd LOVE to avoid using 'boot' at all just to get away from the
> nova command's use of it.

+1