[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Fuel-QA][Fuel-TechDebt] Code Quality: Do Not Hardcode - Fix Things Instead

Vladimir Kuklin vkuklin at mirantis.com
Tue Nov 10 15:52:24 UTC 2015

Folks

I wanted to raise awareness about one of the things I captured while doing
reviews recently - we are sacrificing quality to bugfixing and feature
development velocity, essentially moving from one heap to another - from
bugs/features to 'tech-debt' bugs.

I understand that we all have deadlines and need to meet them. But, folks,
let's create the following policy:

1) do not introduce hacks/workarounds/kludges if it is possible.
2) while fixing things if you have a hack/workaround/kludge that you need
to work with - think of removing it instead of enhancing and extending it.
If it is possible - fix it. Do not let our technical debt grow.
3) if there is no way to avoid kludge addition/enhancing, if there is no
way to remove it - please, add a 'TODO/FIXME' line above it, so that we can
collect them in the future and fix them gradually.

I suggest to add this requirement into code-review policy.

What do you think about this?

--
Yours Faithfully,
Vladimir Kuklin,