[openstack-dev] [oslo] Graduate cliutils.py into oslo.utils

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Nov 10 13:02:38 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 07:41 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10 2015, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>> Julien, Victor,
>>
>> How about - oslo.cli = apiclient/*.py + cliutils.py - since we already
>> have a spec for a new library for apiclient
>
> I may be lacking context here, but we built a new complete client
> recently (python-gnocchiclient) without apiclient and cliutils at all.
> We just used cliff and keystoneauth1.
>
> So I really doubt we need these legacy libraries nowadays. Isn't the
> best option to just let them die and spend efforts moving clients away
> From them?

Yes, they should honestly just be cut loose in the client trees, and
clients should be encouraged to go the keystoneauth1 / cliff route in
the future.

280 lines of code across 11 clients isn't actually that much code, it's
1% of novaclient. It's not really worth building a new library for
especially because we don't actually want to encourage people to do this
any more.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague