[openstack-dev] [all] [dlm] Zookeeper and openjdk, mythbusted

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Nov 9 14:22:22 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 06:05 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
<snip>
> So that is an important point. While there is "the Oracle JVM", there is
> nothing like "OpenJDK". There are a number of OpenJDK builds by various
> distros and they are all different (and of varying quality). The beast
> is brittle, as anyone who has ever run the TCK on OpenJDK should be able
> to tell you. The reason a lot of Java bugtrackers still start by asking
> you to "reproduce on Oracle's JVM" is to eliminate that unknown, not
> because OpenJDK is always bad.
>
> My main objection about picking a Java solution was that we'd in effect
> force our users into a non-free solution so that they eliminate that
> unknown themselves. I guess as long as we are reasonably confident that
> ZooKeeper behaves well with most OpenJDK implementations, and that there
> are solid, well-known free software deployment options available, we
> should be fine ?

I think that's where declaring this fact early is good. Hey distros,
this is going to need to work out of the box. Seems pretty reasonable
and a heads up that is going to ensure things need to function well down
the road.

I do wonder what the cause of varying quality is in the distros. I do
understand that some distros aren't licensing the test suite. But they
are all building from the same upstream.

I want to be really specific before we as a community spread FUD around
an effort like openjdk. Because it doesn't help us make decisions long
term if we're basing that on long standing biases that may or may not
still be supported by data.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague