[openstack-dev] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Mon Nov 9 10:30:19 UTC 2015

Hiya,

On 7/11/2015 06:42, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 11/06/2015 01:15 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'll start by acknowledging that this is a big and complex issue and I
>> do not claim to be across all the view points, nor do I claim to be
>> particularly persuasive ;P
>>
>> Having stated that, I'd like to seek constructive feedback on the idea of
>> keeping Juno around for a little longer.  During the summit I spoke to a
>> number of operators, vendors and developers on this topic.  There was some
>> support and some "That's crazy pants!" responses.  I clearly didn't make it
>> around to everyone, hence this email.
>>
>> Acknowledging my affiliation/bias:  I work for Rackspace in the private
>> cloud team.  We support a number of customers currently running Juno that are,
>> for a variety of reasons, challenged by the Kilo upgrade.
>
> The upstream strategy has been make upgrades unexciting, and then folks
> can move forward easily.
>
> I would really like to unpack what those various reasons are that people
> are trapped. Because figuring out why they feel that way is important
> data in what needs to be done better on upgrade support and testing.

In reading this thread and Sean's post, I wonder out loud if we're
seeing something somewhat new to OpenStack here, but perhaps not to
other FOSS projects.

Specifically does Kilo happen to mark a point where a much larger number
of end users have adopted OpenStack and so we're starting to see a much
greater number of visible and mainstream users facing the "upgrade
difficulty question" ?

If Juno us the point where we suddenly got an order of magnitude more
deployments, then some point later you'll see an order of magnitude more
end users struggling with how/when to upgrade.

Really wish I could articulate this better, but perhaps the point can be
distilled from the ramble...

Cheers,
Hugh