[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] About rebuilding volume-backed instances.

Zhenyu Zheng zhengzhenyulixi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 07:04:59 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Currently, we have strong demands about "rebuilding"(or actions like
rebuilding) volume-backed instances. As in production deployment, volume
backed instance is widely used. Users have the demands of performing the
rebuild(recovery) action for root device while maintain instance UUID sorts
of information, many users also wants to keep the volume uuid unchanged.

Nova side doesn't support using Rebuild API directly for volume backed
instances (the volume will not change). And Nova side also doesn't support
detaching root device, that means we cannot performing volume
backup/restore from cinder side, because those actions needs the volume in
"available" status.

Now there are couple of patches proposed in nova trying to fix this problem:
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/201458/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/221732/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223887/

[1] and [2] are trying to expose the API of detaching root devices, [3] is
trying to fix it in the current Rebuild API. But yet none of them got much
attention.

As we now have strong demand on performing the "rebuilding" action for
volume-backed instances, and yet there is not any clear information about
 it. I wonder is there any plans of how to support it in Nova and Cinder?

Yours,

Zheng