[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPAM] Arbitrary JSON blobs in ipam db tables

Shraddha Pandhe spandhe.openstack at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 21:59:49 UTC 2015

Hi Neil,

Please find my reply inline.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com>
wrote:

> Yes, maybe. I'm interested in a pluggable IPAM module that will allocate
> an IP address for a VM that depends on where that VM's host is‎ in the
> physical data center network. Is that similar to your requirement?
>
> We have a similar requirement where we want to pick a network thats
accessible in the rack that VM belongs to. We have L3 Top-of-rack, so the
network is confined to the rack. Right now, we are achieving this by naming
physical network name in a certain way, but thats not going to scale.

We also want to be able to make scheduling decisions based on IP
availability. So we need to know rack <-> network <-> mapping.  We can't
embed all factors in a name. It will be impossible to make scheduling
decisions by parsing name and comparing. GoDaddy has also been doing
something similar [1], [2].

> I don't yet know whether that might lead me to want to store additional
> data in the Neutron DB. My intuition though is that it shouldn't, and that
> any additional data or state that I need for this IPAM module should be
> stored separately from the Neutron DB.

 Where are you planning to store that information? If we need similar
information, and if more folks need it, we can add it to Neutron DB in IPAM
tables.

[1]
http://www.dorm.org/blog/openstack-architecture-at-go-daddy-part-3-nova/#Scheduler_Customization
[2]