[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 6 18:42:05 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-06 10:12:21 -0800 (-0800), Clint Byrum wrote:
[...]
> Note that it's not just backporters though. It's infra resources too.

Aye, there's the rub. We don't just EOL these branches for fun or
because we hate old things or because ooh shiny squirrel. We EOL
them at a cadence where the community has demonstrated it loses its
ability to keep them healthy and testable (evaluated based on
performance over recent prior cycles because we have to warn
downstreams well in advance as to when they should expect upstream
support to cease).

Downstream maintainers regularly claim they will step up their
assistance upstream to keep stable branches alive if only we'll
extend the lifespan on them, so we tried that with Icehouse and,
based on our experience there, scaled back the lifespan of Juno
again accordingly. Keep in mind that extending support of stable
branches necessarily implies supporting a larger _number_ of stable
branches in parallel. If we switched from 12 months after release to
18 then we're maintaining at least 3 stable branches at any point in
time. If we extend it to 24 months then that's 4 stable branches.

To those who suggest solving this by claiming one is a LTS release
every couple years, you're implying a vastly different upgrade model
than we have now. If we declare Juno is a LTS and leave it supported
another 12 months, then 6 months from now when we EOL stable/kilo
we'll be telling deployers that they have to upgrade from supported
stable/juno through unsupported stable/kilo to supported
stable/icehouse before running stable/mitaka. Or else you're saying
you intend to fix the current inability of our projects to skip
intermediate releases entirely during upgrades (a great idea, and so
I'm thrilled by those of you who intend to make it a reality, we can
revisit the LTS discussion once you finish that).
--
Jeremy Stanley